Friday, August 15, 2014

A Taste of Tevis : A Newbies First Tevis

So this was my first time at Tevis. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is the Tevis Cup or the Westeran States Trail Foundation 100 mile ride. Horse and rider teams traverse challenging trails in the High Sierras, from a spot near Squaw Vally to the town of Auburn. They must finish in 24 hours. The ride is always set during a full moon because the riders ride at night. The ride starts at 5:15 a.m. The front runners generally finish around 9:30 p.m., while the majority of riders finish between the hours of 2:30 to 5:00 a.m.

I went up to crew for a fabulous team, and while things did not go as  planned for our team, it is a blessing horse and rider made it safely back. So while I did not get the full crewing experience, I got the full spectator experience.

I left my home in southern California at 5 a.m. on Friday. And made it to Robie Park - the start - at about 2:30 in the afternoon. Driving in I could not believe the gorgeous forest. One of the draws for me to endurance riding is the incredible places I get to go. Robie Park is an equestrian park, about 10 or so miles from the highway. You have to drive on a partly dirt road and in my Honda Accord I took it slow and enjoyed the scenery. When ever I wondered if I missed a turn, I would spot a yellow Tevis sign, and then when I saw a couple riders out for their pre-ride to the start I knew I was in the right spot.

The camp was busy on Friday. Folks riding, hand walking and tending to their horses. Riders came from thirteen countries, and from all over the U.S. My rider has a couple buckles (from completing Tevis) so they have their routine down, and my goal is just to ease the work load, remember some of the details. We have a gorgeous dinner, attend the crew meeting, the riders meeting, and then hit the hay early. I slept in the back cab of the truck, with the window open so I could see the full moon and stars. It was a lovely night.

Up at about 3:30. The camp comes alive. The sound of horses walking through the woods. Stretching their legs, preparing for the long ride. We get up, have a lovely cup of coffee, and tack up. We put the cold electrolyte drinks in the saddle for the rider. Make sure everything is squared away, and they are off. Pretty low key, just heading off into the darkness and down the road a bit to the official start.

Everyone else waits a bit, we are not allowed to start our engines until 5:30. You see, all the crews, rigs and spectators now will be bustling to make an hour and a half drive to end up at the first vet check in Robinson Flat. But for those with rigs, they need to drop them off at Forest Hill. Ok, so we are on the road. I'm in my Honda, and Crew Chief Juan is behind me in the rig. We jostle for position on the highway with other rigs - one driving way too fast and I see the trailer fish tail behind me. Once we settle in and let the speed demons pass us I get a call from Juan. He just got a call from Nina, she can't find Cheeky. This is an alarming call on any ride, but in the Tevis, with thousands if not millions of acres of wilderness, a lost horse can set a rider into a panic. So we knew she came off, we knew that she couldn't find Cheeky. We did not know if she was hurt, or if the horse was hurt. We just had to stick to the plan, We headed to Forest Hill, dropped off the rig and jumped into my Honda (which we packed the night before with all the crew supplies) for the drive out to Robinson Flat. When we arrived we were told that our rider, #53 had found her horse, and they were on their way via trailer to Forest Hiill. Whew, Cheeky was ok. Nina was ok. They were reunited. But their Tevis ride was done for this year.

We made our way back to Forest Hill, had a bit of breakfast, and more coffee. And waited for the horse transport trailer to arrive. They arrived, and Cheeky just had a few superficial scraps. I heard the full story, which is not mine to tell here. But wow. Things can just turn on a dime. Horse and rider were very lucky to be fine. They decided to head home.

So there I was. Alone at Forest Hill. I had some friends who were volunteers at Robinson who would meet up with me later, and my fabulous farrier Ed who would soon be to Forest Hill. But I took my cooler full of ice for the horses, one beer and picked a spot on Bath Road to watch the horses come in. I gave away the ice - since Cheeky wasn't going to be needing it and settled in.

Here is my photo journal from the next 24 hours - (click on any photo to see them larger)
all photos c. K. Rivers 2014. If you want to use one, just let me know in the comments here).

Mt. Watson Road, heading into Robie Park

Must be on the right road



Cheeky all ready the night before. 


a great dinner, in a gorgeous spot

Sunset at Robie Park the night before Tevis


Cheeky after his adventure back at Forest Hill. 

To the vet check at Forest Hill


Add caption

the crews line up along the road to wait for their team. The tack is taken off and the horse is cooled.


Add caption





a future endurance rider ? 






Barbara White at Forest Hill. She completed her 30th Tevis.





This may have been my favorite part. THis is Overlook. The timed finish. 
I got to watch horses cross no hands bridge by moon light, and watch these horses finish at Overlook. Had a great dinner with Ed, who showed me where the fair ground showers were. I then basically crashed in my car till 8:00 am. I did hear the announcer bringing in Barbara White at 2:42. I snapped a photo of friends sleeping in the bleachers to watch all the riders come in.

In the morning I walked the barns. The resting horses, and also the treatment barn. Some horses need some support in their recovery and there is extensive vet care available on site. One woman who I had met at Robie Park was with her horse, needing some IV Fluids. I saw a sleep deprived horse having REM sleep, running in his sleep. And the cute Appy who didn't have a stall but made herself perfectly comfortable on some shavings next to the barn.


One stall set up with fabulous cot, where the rider slept to monitor their horse after the ride.




Heather Reynolds, the Tevis Winner showing her horse for the Haggins Cup, the Tevis Best Condition award.
The top ten horses are eligible to show for this prestigious award. This year, a 15 year old won the award - Barrak Blakely, who has been doing endurance for 10 years (you do the math) who placed 7th overall.





Photographer Lynn Glazer

Dedicated Spectators

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience!! This is amazing! My dream is to one day participate!

    ReplyDelete