Friday, August 22, 2014

Almost there & the Slow Feed Net


Oh my stars.

Just a few weeks away to when I think we can start working and riding again.
September 7 is the date. Need to get clearance from final x-ray, then we are off.

The video above is from this week, just one of our hot walks. But as you can see, he is ready to rock and roll.

We've ironed out the slow feed net (see below) and added a salt rock on a rope to one end of his stall for a sort of boredom killer.

After an all clear x-ray I plan on a week or so of round pen work, trotting a bit, building up, with and without the saddle on. I expect him to have a bit of spit in him. He'll be feeling good. I wanna do some ponying and so on.

Honestly, I'm a tad nervous about the first ride. It will have been five months that he's not been ridden. He's got a great mind, and is not a wacky horse at all, but I'm just building up some questions in my mind. Yes, we will do some arena riding first, but both of us are chomping at the bit to get out on the trail.

The slow feed net: So I should I have done this way earlier. BUT am glad I did it now, especially after we cut back his feed cause of the belly he is developing. So the fabulous manager where we board let me rig up a slow feed net in his stall. I'm not able to get out there every morning and evening before feeding time to bag the hay, so I found this solution online, and it's ok with the guy who throw the feed. It's easy, and doesn't make more work for them. You can see in the one photo I tied half of the net to a pipe on the top, and the rest of the net to the bottom pipe, that creates an opening for the guys to stuff the hay in.
Click any of the photos to see them larger.


Add caption

Just out on our walks, going farther and farther, only limited by how far I can walk in the heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment