Thursday, July 10, 2014

Enduring the Lay Up

So, short story is 60 more days (maybe longer)

The vet came out for an X-ray yesterday - just a week shy of 90 days rest after Ozzie's kick the friday night before Lost Padres and while he commented on the great healing, and "good bone" being laid down (I actually saw it too, and since I've had a lot of time to read about this I knew what he was talking about) we actually saw something that wasn't visible in the early X-ray (just about 72 hours after the injury).

We saw what appears to be a spot that IS healing well, but it is a little horizontal fracture. So back in March the first x-ray clearly showed a vertical line, creating a sort of "bullet" shape of bone that had separated. That is no longer visible, and you can see all the bone cells grouping in that area, and above and below it, laying down layers of new bone - strong bone. But we also see a grouping of cells along a short horizontal line - that was not visible in the first set of images. The vet told me that when x-rays are taken shortly after an injury the bone cells damaged have not died off yet. It's the dead bone cells that will reveal where other fractures are, that are not showing on the early x-rays. He believes there was a small, horizontal fracture that IF we took the time (and money) to take many photos at many angles we would eventually catch the right angle to see the line.

So the vet likes what he sees in terms of healing. We are doing the right thing. But at least 60 more days of small stall, hand walking only. And we are cutting back his feed. I of course took him off all supplements, beet pulp etc since the injury, but he's put on some weight and he's getting calories far exceeding his energy output. So we're cutting it in half. Oh he did not like me carrying away that second flake at dinnertime.

Ozzie is also acting as a case study for a friend who is learning about flower essences. Ok all you horsefolk, before you roll your eyes at the kooky Californian, think about all the old tales of remedies from back in the day. It can do no harm, and hey if it helps calm him a bit (one of the essences he's getting helps improve patience) I'll take it. So he gets a couple of spritzes over the muzzle when I take him out of the stall and just before I put him back. He already seems to enjoy the refreshing spritz (I'm told the substances are created in high quality brandy, hummmm)

I'm also going aggressively after the splint that has lingered for nearly 60 days. I'm applying the gnarly steroid cream twice a day, and using an ice boot twice a day. For two weeks. Sounds easy enough, but Ozzie doesn't live at my house, and negotiating with my dear hubby for two trips out to the ranch every day for two weeks will be a feat of endurance in itself.

Building a bit of a belly, we've opted to cut back his hay a bit. 
On the flip side I am learning a ton. Chalking all of this up to a learning experience, bone growth, reading x-rays, helping a horse cope with confinement, patience (I'm taking some flower essences as well - nearly the same potion as Ozzie), splints and hand walking an energetic horse who wants to get back to exploring the canyons. It also gives me time to dial in a few things - change the pads on my stirrups, track down the longer cinch straps for the center fire rigging, and I'm happy I found a $25 clip on headstall that matches the used breast collar (Thanks again Laura!) that was handed down to me.

Oh and his feet - I'm pulling his shoes next week. Before all my barefoot friends get all excited I'm just giving them a chance to develop some callus, let the hoof stretch out a bit. No, I'm not having him go barefoot. I'm one of those folks that dreads dealing with boots at a ride (maybe one day in the future) but shoes with the BEST farrier ever!!! were working great for Ozzie. But during this layup a breather from shoes for his feet just makes sense.

So we're back to one day at a time, and the vet suggested the LONGEST walks possible - hard during the summer time when my 8, almost 9 year old son is out of school - and eyeing the NATRC ride in October with Vicky, and then the Sesenta Anos ride in November as still doable. Gotta have a goal to look forward to.

Just you wait, we are gonna be the HAPPIEST team on the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment