Sunday, June 29, 2014

71 Days

So just after Ozzie got kicked, and we knew we would have at least 90 days off many well meaning people told me "The first 30 days will be the toughest."

Well they were full of it. Well meaning, but not correct.

The final 30 days are the worst.

Ozzie looks amazing and feels even better. He is ready.

Last week I felt a little down - frustrated that he can't be let out to gallop around - he was getting testy too and I was worried that he would need some "re-training." He was moving around a lot at the tie rail during grooming, not standing. Urgh. But yesterday he was fabulous. So it's the ebb and flow right, he's going through this too.

We have our xray scheduled for July 9 - and it will tell us if 90 days (July 17) will be enough time off, or if we need more time. I'm hoping that the xray looks fabulous and I get clearance for Ozzie to live in the big paddock, and we can start working out of the spit and fire that's built up.

So last Wednesday we went for a nice hand walk with friends up the road to the cow barn. He was a really good boy, enjoying the jaunt out. Cruised right through the muddy creek ready to keep going.

Yesterday we were out for a short walk and some other horses got turned out in a pasture next to us. They were galloping around, and toward us on the trail. Ozzie threw up his head, stuck his tail straight up, so it flew over onto his back - I think I laughed out loud. And snorted so loud, I think his whole throat vibrated. He wanted to run with those horses so bad. He still kinda listened to me, and I got him doing a few circles to occupy his mind a little...

So we are really in the home stretch - although I'm keeping open in my mind the possibility that we may need more time off (even though my gut says we are good to go).

I'm looking forward to the videos I'll get the first day in the round pen and the first time he's turned out in the big paddock. Oh Boy... it'll be fun to watch.

Here's a snapshot from yesterday, after his snorting.


No comments:

Post a Comment