Monday, December 30, 2013

"Kim's Guide for New Crewers," from one Newbie to another.

Second Crewing Gig - Death Valley Encounter, XP Rides
(All photos are from Day 1 of the Death Valley Encounter, 2013 ride)


When I first started asking questions on the Facebook group page for AERC, a few folks suggested that I volunteer to crew so that I could see how the rides were managed, vet checks were run, how the horses were managed in camps and so on. This is my second crew gig. For the story of my first crew gig click here.

Pre-ride day one. 


I am not a veteran crewer, but I have two intentions to help the rider and to learn. I watch all the riders, and horses. Notice the different tack, supplies and routines the riders practice. I approach it with a curious mind, and am just happy to help.

Here are a few notes and ideas about how I approach crewing and what I have learned:

First, check in with the ride managers at the riders meeting the night before the ride to find out when the “crew caravan” is leaving. While you can drive your own vehicle – if you have it with you – carpooling with the caravan is fun, you won’t get lost, and it is a great opportunity to meet other endurance enthusiasts and you don’t have to worry about getting your Honda Accord stuck in the desert (and thus being banned by your husband from ever going to another ride on your own). The caravan will likely include a few of the ride managers, the lunch crew; ride volunteers, the veterinarians and any other crewmembers. As crew for a rider, I offer to make sure their crew bag gets on a truck with the caravan either the night before or in the morning.

Driving out from base camp.


In the morning I try not to interfere with the riders routine. An experienced endurance rider has a routine that begins days, if not weeks before a ride. They pack, prepare, train, examine tack and supplies, check tires, schedule a visit from the farrier and maybe start adding electrolytes to feedings. A rider will wake up hours before the ride, to ensure the horse is eating well and drinking water. The crewer (yes, I may have invented that word) might offer to walk the horse out a bit, walk to the water troughs – some horses don’t like to drink out of the smaller water buckets at the trailer. Since I am a new crewer for these riders, and they don’t know me that well, I choose to not offer to groom or tack up their horse (although if they were to ask, I’m happy to do it). I know that if I were the rider I would want to do it myself. It is part of the ritual of preparing, and I imagine it settles the mind as you near the start time. One rider let me know where their truck keys are, so that in an emergency someone could start their truck.

Officially off-roading in the desert, heading to vet check/lunch stop.


If there is time after the riders leave, before the crew caravan heads out, I will muck out and make sure the water buckets are filled, it’s nice to come back to a clean space after a ride.

I also make sure my bag is packed - Sunscreen, hat, gloves, a lighter shirt (for warmer weather), a chair, snacks, first aid kit, Chap Stick and a chair. We are likely to be at the vet check for several hours, until the final rider comes in, and usually until most have left. As a crewmember I am also happy to help out with the ride in any way I can. I’ve made sandwiches, loaded and unloaded crew bags, mixed iced tea and lemonade and anything else the ride managers might need done.



Learning to do P&R. When a rider comes into the check, there is a set amount of time they must stay there. That is called the “hold” time. For a 25-30 mile ride it may be 30 minutes to an hour. For a 50-mile ride it is generally one hour. But that time does not necessarily start the minute to get to the vet check, your horse must first “pulse down.” The ride managers set “criteria”, usually at 60 beats per minute. So a horses pulse much reach 60 beats for your hold time to begin. Some riders dismount prior to reaching the vet check and walk in to help their horse pulse down, while some come in, dismount and take their horse to the water for a drink and then check in.



At the Vet Check/Lunch Stop the crewmembers tend to lend a hand wherever needed as they wait for their rider to arrive. Generally there is a lot of waiting. I choose to locate my riders crew bag right away, and choose a spot that I think will be away from the hustle and bustle of the Vet Check, but near the water for the horses. I try to bring along a chair. Most crew bags don’t include a chair, but I imagine that having a comfy chair to sit in during the hour (or half hour) “hold,” adds a bit of comfort. 

The lead riders tend to arrive at the vet check a few hours after the start of the ride. If my rider is not among them, and I’m not doing anything else, I offer to hold horses at the water while the riders locate their crew bags (they can usually find them quicker because they know what they look like). Riders may also appreciate someone to hold their horse while they go to the bathroom, get some food, or prepare a wet mash.

 To do P&R you need a watch with a second hand and a stethoscope and to be able to find the horse’s heart rate. You listen for 15 seconds, and if over 15 beats, well then it’s over 60 a minute and you just let the rider know to try again in a few minutes.

Other crewmembers help each other keep an eye out for their rider. When I see my rider approaching, I just make sure that I’m somewhere easy for them to see, and let them know where their bags are. I try to just let them catch their breath for a minute or two. Once they have “pulsed in”, they’ll settle in a bit and want to make sure there horse is drinking, eating and generally looking good. At some point – maybe 30 minutes into their hold – they’ll see the vet for confirmation their horse is doing well, is sound and deemed “fit to continue.” At this point you can help hold the horse, get some lunch for the rider, fill up water bottles, or find a band aid or Advil for the rider – basically, anything that is needed a crewer can try to help with. I also am mindful to be calm and positive. A rider might be having a tough time, not feeling well, not feel like talking, I just go with it.


Then as they leave, I wish them well, let them know if there is a mounting block set up and then pack up their bags, clean up their spot and go back to helping others as needed and wait for the first vehicles to be ready to head back to base camp.

Your rider may get back before you. If I arrive first, I hang out at the finish line and final vet check area. Then it’s sort of the same… offering to hold the horse, walk to the water, help untack etc.

Are you an endurance rider? What have you really appreciated about having help from a crew? What is something you want your crew to do? Not do? Please post in the comments below. 

One thing I have learned in spending time in camp at two rides is that I want my horse to be calm and comfortable with “camping.” That I must have a very comfortable (and warm) bed to sleep in. I took my son to this last ride, and he loved it, especially bouncing across the desert in a big four-wheel drive truck. But he just kept asking “Can I ride a horse now?” Hummm, mommy is still looking for her horse, and figuring out exactly what I want. (scroll down for a few more photos) 



Happy New Year! See you on the trails throughout the Year of the Horse.

All photos are Copyrighted 2013 Kimberly Rivers. I'm happy for folks to share them, just let me know please at kimberly.rivers@gmail.com and make sure you link to this blog. Thanks.





3 comments:

  1. OH I wish Megan. ;) I also wish our VW Van could pull a trailer, but alas we need something that has some true power. I haven't ruled out a polo pony for endurance.. more on that later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been blessed with a crew as such before at the handful of rides I've done, but the biggest help to me was the reminder from others to eat and drink myself. I'm a control freak regarding my horse so like to take care of him myself, other than him being held for bathroom breaks. Good luck venturing into endurance, I've found it to be such a great community and a blast to participate in (on or off a horse)
    Cyd :)

    ReplyDelete