Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Diving In - Ride #1 Sesenta Anos 2013, Santa Ynez, CA

Horses during the hour rest at the vet check. Note the BLM brand on the
neck of the mustang.
Sometimes at this point in life we imagine that there is not much new we can do. But then something comes along, maybe giving you a good kick in the pants and you remember the feeling of joy, freedom and of just being alive.

I am a mom, wife, writer, freelance do-anythinger. I am blessed in so many ways and one of them is to have discovered at an early age that I had horses in my blood. I'll share various horse stories from my past on this blog but the focus of it is going to be me learning something new. Learning Endurance. A sport that involves horse and rider and the trail. Some race, some don't. The focus is on a fit team covering and accumulating miles and completed rides. There are vet checks, turkey sandwiches, and fancy footwear. And the horses. All different kinds of horses.

The fabulous footwear used by horse and rider in Endurance riding.
With so much info at our fingers tips today it can be mind boggling diving into anything new, and with anything having to do with horses there are usually a million folks telling you what is right, what works and what you should do.

I found the American Endurance Riding Conference (AERC)  facebook group and just started asking questions. I checked the ride calendar on the AERC website and found that in a few weeks there was going to be a ride nearly in my backyard. So I posted that I was looking to volunteer.

And, someone emailed me. She and I started emailing back and forth a bit, and quickly we built a friendship. She shared her preparation plans, packing her trailer, adding electrolytes etc.

Getting a loving rub during the rest at the vet check. 
I prepared too. Packing my VW Van, and bringing along my boots and helmet just in case.
While the opportunity to ride at Sesenta Anos did not arise for me, I learned so much and met some wonderful people. Mostly I gained a lot of confidence that this is something I could do.

The Ride from a Newbie Point of View: 

The main ride was 50 miles each day. Starting at 6am. With one vet check about half way through the ride. It took place on a beautiful private cattle ranch - but I think there were more wild boars, which were about the size of a VW bug.

I was able to arrive on the friday night before the ride on Saturday. To meet my rider, see a few seminars, attend the preride meeting and just soak it in. First I was struck by the trailers, the many trailers. All different kinds, big rigs, small set ups. And horses of every color, and surprisingly,  breed. You may think and hear that Arabs dominate, and while they may be the best suited due to their physiology, there are also mustangs, paso finos, thoroughbreds, appaloosas, and even some spunky icelandic ponies.

One rider prepares to ride out on his first
ever endurance ride.  
My rider - who I was crewing for - has been doing endurance for decades and said she hasn't had the luxury of a crew for 20 years. I was paid in chocolate and some yummy sangria. I feel so lucky to have been allowed to learn from her. She was so generous in sharing her secrets, and continues to help me out as I find my way. As a crew member I helped where ever needed, filling up water buckets, walking out the horse, and while she didn't ask me I was happy to muck up as well.

The crew caravan heads out shortly after the riders. I introduce myself, lend a hand filling up drinking water containers for the riders at the vet check, and help load up the big water buckets for the horses that will be filled up from the water tank truck. The crew caravan heads out, about 5 or 6 vehicles, large trucks mostly, and one pulling a trailer, which is now carrying all of the crew bags, but is available in case a horse is unable to complete the ride and needs to be trailered back. The caravan includes crew (like myself - although most riders do not have a crew), ride managers, veterinarians, and other volunteers.

Riders prep their crew bags with anything they or their horse may need at the vet check. Contents include hay, alfalfa, bags of their mash mixture - carrots, beet pulp, pellets, electrolytes.

When the caravan arrives we know we'll have a few hours before the first riders appear. Crew members locate their riders bags and select a spot where the rider and horse will rest for the holding period during the check. Then it's all about the sandwiches. Helping the ride managers prepare turkey, ham and tuna sandwiches for over 100 riders requires excellent planning, organization and coordination, and plennty of humor. Never mind the comments about covering your butts, the butt end of the loaf.

For the 50 mile ride the hold is one hour. The horse must "pulse down" to begin the hour rest. That means it must reach a heart rate of 60 beats a minute before that rest begins. As riders enter the vet check the "P&R" people - folks with stethoscopes and clipboards - will confirm the horses pulse. Also during the stop is a vet check - the horse is trotted out to check for lameness or other movement issues, the heart and respiratory rate are checked. The horse is given an overall check, including a good "look in the eye" so that vet and rider are confident the horse is "fit to continue."

I could not have picked a better ride as an intro to endurance. At this ride your rider cards are less important - then end up in a box somewhere I think, and I heard folks talking about at other rides everyone is always confirming you are who you say you are with your rider card, but not at this ride. It's casual, low stress and a whole lot of fun.

Horses sharing their wet mash at the rest stop. 
I notice that riders focus first on the needs of their horses, hopping off, loosening girths, getting their horse to water. And getting their horse to food. Once they know their horse is drinking & eating well, then the riders will hydrate themselves, grab a sandwich - provided by ride management. and sit down to rest those knees. Riding 20 plus miles at a pace takes it's toll, even for the fittest riders.

I really just enjoyed watching all the different horses come in, noticing how the leaders (those seeking to place in the top ten) were looking and how the those focused on the completion looked. And the hardy mustang bringing up the rear. Everyone helping each other, making sure folks had what they need. And all having a great time.

I have been to different horse events. From rodeos to polo games (I was lucky enough to play polo for four years in college) and I don't think I have seen more of a willingness to lend a hand at any of them. Everyone wants everyone to have a great time and a great ride. I was struck by the young man, maybe he was 11 or 12, riding his pretty chestnut arabian, doing the 50 mile ride. Or the young girl on her icelandic pony, completing her first 50 mile, telling how her pony wanting to lie down in the creek.

If those kids can do this, I know I can. So now I'm working on getting myself fit - building up on the trails around where I live on friends horses, keeping an eye out for the perfect horse for me - yes, I'm a lifelong rider that has never owned her own horse, but now is the time. And I'm meeting folks in the endurance riding world who are showing such a warm generosity in letting me ride their horses. Stay tuned, I'm hopeful that I'll get out at a ride in January.

I've got some other stories coming  up about me updating my gear for endurance. Switching from super protective polo boots to comfy riding "shoes" and figuring out the best, simplest way to track my distance. Also teaching a great 8 year old quarter horse named Mary about water crossings, and learning some trail confidence with her.

Cheers and Happy Trails, Kim
All photos are Copyrighted 2013 Kimberly Rivers. I'm happy for folks to share them, just let me know please at kimberly.rivers@gmail.com and make sure you link to this blog. Thanks.

Add caption






No comments:

Post a Comment