Sunday, January 17, 2016

Patience With Pashka

resting in the round pen
First thing you need to know is that it is pronounced PaW-SHH-Kah. Say it with a Russian flair. It is a Russian word and his new name. The name Pierre just wasn't fitting. I asked a friend (Hi Ellen!) who is a translator and just happens to be married to a man from Russia, for some suggestions for a name for a horse, they had to start with P. It has a similar meaning to Pierre, if I understand correctly... it can either mean stone, solid (Pierre has that meaning) or I found something saying it means "from the sea." Well I like it, I like the Russian heritage, he is from Russian lines. And it fits.

You can see his Canadian coat here. 
Pashka is playful. He is also smart and curious. He is also strong willed. I am not using the word stubborn, because that's not the energy behind it. And I like a strong will. Just have to be truly worthy of trust. He has put on weight well, and you'll see his thick Canadian Winter Coat. He is laughing at El Nino. I think he decided to reinvent himself (yes I know that horses may not decide things like that) when he came here. I was told he was a bit of a picky eater. So far he loves everything I offer, maybe he just likes California hay better than Canadian. He even gobbles up the beet pulp. He also is asserting himself in the pecking order a bit, and is competitive on the trail with other horses. He makes me smile.


A little backstory: Pashka is just four and a half (coming five in April), he has been under saddle since April 2015.


On The Trail

So the last time I wrote I had ridden him a few times out on the trail, by myself and with a small mellow group. Then I joined a group of three other riders one lovely Sunday morning. All good riders, and good horses. We were going to do a nice trail, just walking, with a good hill climb. The plan was for me to hike up the hill. And for one of the riders ( a great rider, search and rescue, mounted posse horse and rider) to pony Pashka up the hill. Why you ask? Well cause in my mind Pashka needs to do some of these big hills without a rider FIRST, before he starts carrying my butt up it. And this was a good hill. I was very winded at the top after hiking up. I got back on him and off we went.

We came upon a cluster of cows hanging out under an oak tree. Pashka has been around some cows, and they are fed not far from his paddock, but I did know that he still has questions about them. But he does just fine, we walk by them. Then some more cows were clustered to the right of the trail. All is fine until one little black guy starts to run toward the rear of our group. Pashka throws one big rodeo buck. Just one. It was a good one. The lady riding behind me laughed and said "all four feet of the ground, that was good." But he was fine. Yes I was still in the saddle. So we walked on.


But now we were heading downhill a little, Pashka was wanting to rush it a bit, and I don't think he really like the side-pull bridle attachment. He was not really paying attention to me and I could just tell his mind was elsewhere. I kept at it, keeping him off the horse in front of us as best I could. But then he got away from me, creeped up on the horse in front and bit his butt. Next thing I see is a underside of a GIANT draft horse hoof almost making contact with Pashka's chest. I shouted some name at my horse. The rider of the horse in front of us didn't even know he kicked out, but it was totally warranted. At that point I decided to get off.
Pashka being playful

He was not listening to me.

Thinking back I think he was a bit fried at this point. He had a big hike up a big hill, we were in a group of four riders, the cows, the down hill. And at that point we had been on the trail an hour. If we had been at a good spot for trotting I probably should have broken away a bit from the group and worked his butt a bit. But I didn't do that, I was a tad fried too.

So I hand walked him all the way down the hill. He was ponied through a big herd of cows. Then I got back on him. I told the group I was going to let him walk out in front, we were with horses that have a much slower walking pace. So we walk out in front, and we are headed toward the barn. Maybe a mile and half from home. He throws a couple more bucks.

I jump off him, take off his reins, and grab the lead rope (I was in trail mode with the regular lead rope around the horn of the saddle) and work his butt. He bucks, and pulls away from me. But I get him back, trotting well around me.

So we get back to the barn and I decide we need a month of training/lessons with a trainer where we board. I don't have the cash to send him off to a trainer and I would like to do it myself, with support, if I can.

I had one session a week, the first was groundwork, the last three were in the saddle. Here is what I know: That I can ride out his bucks, that he is young and has a very very very nice trot. He needs more wet saddle pads. It helps me tremendously to have a coach guiding me when I'm working him in the arena. And I'll probably want that support too as we head back out on the trail.

I have never once been afraid of him, but I am afraid of being afraid. If something happens while I'm in the saddle that scares me, I'm worried that will ruin something. I'm totally playing mind games with myself. So I need to have patience with myself and patience with Pashka. Do what is comfortable.  For now I want to build a solid trail horse, that I'm confident and comfortable on. I know Pashka and I will get there, no need to rush.

(note: you can click on any photo to see them large)
copyright K.Rivers 2016
friends







2 comments:

  1. I'm a bit surprised to hear he is bucking. I did a 25 mile ride with him and he was quite solid however my mare still throws in the odd buck and she's been down the trails to many times to mention. A couple of things come to mind: Have you had his back checked and/or the fit of his saddle checked? Might be an easy answer or he's just being a schmuck and needs more time with butt in the saddle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darice, yes thought about the saddle back issue - they were having saddle issues with him up in Canada too. I'm pretty sure the saddle fits well (well enough right now), sweat patterns etc. AND before he came to me, there was a report of him bucking a bit up in Canada.. these are nothing major, not "get off my back" bucks, AND I think with more time under saddle, and more time under saddle out on trail we will be good. ALSO - the rider at those rides (Hi Ashley!) I think is a much more confident rider than I am, especially on green horses. She started him under saddle etc. SO he can feel that right? We are learning together, Thanks for reading and commenting. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete