Monday, June 16, 2014

Chomping at the bit



 So tomorrow is 60 days since Ozzie was hurt. And he’s been such a good boy, until now. On our walks he’s getting a bit full of himself, as our ranch manager likes to say. He pushes around in front of me when we walk past the barn, and he’s just not responding to me very well. When I enter his stall, he is eager to leave it. That’s great right? But he stands right at the stall gate, and I have to put my hand up, and stomp my feet quite emphatically to get him to back up at all. Most times I actually have to push him back. Not ideal.

Ozzie looking good at 58 days post injury. He's ready to go and is making his boredom known. 
And on Saturday he bit me. I was scratching his ear and he reached over and nipped the nice fleshy part of the inside of my arm. It did not break the skin, BUT it sure did hurt, and I’ve got a nice little round dark bruise. Later, I was taking the currycomb down his shoulder and he came around to bite again, and how ever I reacted spooked him, and we had a minor pull back reaction. Just a moment or two. He settled down quickly.

I need to change it up. We are in the home stretch and when we get the clearance to add some trotting, lunging and are clear for me to get on his back, I don’t want our relationship to have gone to pot. And I need to keep doing the things with him that I don’t want him to get rusty on.

So today, I’m giving him the psyllium bucket first (just doing this as an annual “treatment” to help move out any sand), instead of after our walk. And instead of just walking around the ranch, we are going to walk in the arena over poles, work on backing up away from me, and some other groundwork at the walk. Tomorrow, I think I’ll put his saddle on, and maybe leave it on for the groundwork.

He sure looks great, the leg is doing well and he takes any opportunity to trot a few steps. I’d love to hear about any groundwork tasks that are good to do at the walk, to keep reinforcing good practice between Ozzie and me.

July 17 will be a full 90 days. The countdown begins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment