Sunday, February 2, 2014

Horse buying, my first official endurance ride and riding out the bucks and bolts.



My riding history is not unique. The little girl who always, and I do mean always, wanted her own horse. Yes, you’ve heard this story before. But I have been blessed to have been able to ride a great many horses. But I’ve never owned a horse. I realized last fall, I did not want to find myself at the end of life, not having ever ridden my own horse. I want to have a horse to call my own, to be responsible for, to develop a connection with, to have a horse trust me, to log miles together – and to achieve a decade of riding together - at least a decade.

And so I began the journey of buying a horse, with the goal of doing endurance. In the Year of the Horse, I’ll buy my first horse.

Did I mention I have not been on a horses back much in the past, oh 12 years or so. Prior to that I played polo – four years – in college, and really developed confidence in my seat and ability to control all manner of horses. But I have gotten rusty. So recently, on a training ride when I had to stop a horse that bolted – with one foot out of the stirrup - and ride out a couple bucks on a steep hill, followed by a rider/trainer/ second generation horsewoman telling me “that was some good riding,” well, a bit of that confidence came back. Maybe Mama’s still got it!

Using the magical world of Facebook I’ve connected with all the right people. And found some nice looking horses. I’m learning a lot about what the ideal cannon bone is – short and thick, what “bells and whistles” an endurance horse should have, which type of endurance saddle I like (I'm leaning towards Big Horn, and wondering why on earth other riders don't use sheepskin), and that comfy gaits are vital if I want to be able to walk much after a ride. I’m also figuring out what temperament I want. No Drama comes to mind often.

Sooner than expected I’m gearing up for my first, official, endurance ride. My fabulous husband is doing a multi-check inspection on our VW Van that I’ll be driving out to the desert next weekend. Yes, I know the VW is not typically seen among the horsey set, but its comfy bed is not something to scoff at. I’ll be riding with some of the best around, and will be test riding a couple horses for sale. One of them, I will have ridden several times before, so he and I know each other a little bit. And another will be brand new to me.

That’s why I think it’s great I had the opportunity to ride out a few bucks this weekend – to gain some of my old confidence back. Yes, I know you don’t want a horse to buck… but frankly, for me, it was good. He’s one I’m considering buying, and I’d rather see what he can do or rather what he wants do to when something is bothering him or when I make a stupid mistake, and know that I can handle it, ride it out, keep us both safe, and calm him down. 

I also remembered that I have the skills to stop a bolting horse with one stirrup dangling and the seat to cope with some bucks, I had forgotten that. The ride helped me know the horse better, and helped me gain some of my old riding confidence back.

Eastern Mojave Scenic ride, here I come. 

1 comment:

  1. Year of the Horse! Yes, I love it. I was born in the Year of the Horse! Go Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete