Thursday, December 26, 2013

First Fun Ride With Endurance Riders - Dec. 22 at Happy Camp, Moorpark, CA


The ball is rolling; I continue to dive right in. And am finding that I live in an area teeming with riders and trails. I continue to be so impressed by the generosity and welcoming nature of every endurance rider I have met so far. What a great way to Start!

So using the world of Facebook I have connected with a great group of ladies in my area and was invited to join them – and ride one of their horses – on the Sunday before Christmas. I offered to come to the stables to help load up the two horses and drive with my host rider to Moorpark, CA.

I had packed my bag the night before. Helmet (with purple shade brim “Da Brim”), check. Chaps, check. Riding shoes, check, water-backpack, check. Munchies to share after the ride check. Clothes laid out – so I wouldn’t wake up the family in the am. And I’m good to go. 

Leaving my house at 6:45 am was easy. I find when I’m going to ride or even just be around horses getting up early is easy. It was a gorgeous hour drive out to the stables. We loaded the two Arabians, father and son, and my gear and were off.

Initially the plan was for me to ride the father. He’s a striking, flea bitten Arabian, 16 years, and gelded sometime in the past 5 years. But our group of riders for the day had grown in number and the owner – knowing her horses very well – chose to put me on the son. His name is Everest, he is 5 years old, and is the spitting image of his father, albeit a bit smaller – for now. She told me he doesn’t do any “baby” things, and is great on the trail; he just likes to “squirt out” from under you every now and then. Sounded great to me.

We arrived at Happy Camp in Moorpark and a few other rigs were already parked with calm horses tacked up and munching happily from their hay bags. We were still waiting on another rig, so we had plenty of time. Everest proved to settle right in, even though his owner said he had only been trailered a hand full of times. He looked really calm and relaxed. I groomed him, and began tacking him up.

The other rig arrived and we all said hello and got ready to mount up. She also told me that Everest stands perfectly still at mounting, which he did. And that he was not “herd bound” or “buddy bound” in any way to other horses. Because he was not stabled with his father he also wasn’t attached to him. I told her to instruct me in anything and I would not be offended or put out in any way. “It’s OK to holler at me if you need to,” I told her. I was riding her baby and wanted her to be comfortable too. Right away, I knew we were going to have a GREAT ride.

As soon as I was on – and he did stand perfectly still - I chose to just go around the front of the rigs, away from the other horses. I just wanted to feel him out for a few moments. I checked in with myself, and my breathing, talked to him a bit, we walked forward calmly and I asked him – with my seat - to stop. And he calmly stopped and stood. Then I asked him to move forward – again no leg, just seat and thinking. And we calmly walked over to the other riders. Stepped over the railroad tie into the park and we were good to go.

Now I would come to learn that I was riding with a couple Tevis Riders. You know the Tevis Cup? (here are a couple great videos related to Tevis: Info on Tevisa highway crossing ) On some amazing and fit horses. All I can say is they were incredibly gracious. I tend to prefer a long stirrup, and thought I had adjusted them correctly, but after the first ¾ of a mile or so of mostly trotting, I realized they were a bit too long. One rider was hanging back with me a bit – I think just being helpful and making sure I was good on Everest – and I mentioned that my stirrups were a tad long. I was slowing down to stop and hop off I still haven't mastered changing the stirrup length on a western saddle while mounted. Is there a way to do it? My buddy rider hopped right off her horse and cheerfully came over to help me. And again we were off – with me feeling much better.

Everest was wonderful. Maintaining a fabulous trot up the hill. And true to her word Everest’s dad needed to be out at the lead. The group stopped every so often on the uphill portion and my host rider was checking in with me, I’d give her a smile and a thumbs up. Young Everest and I took it mostly easy, both he and I are getting fit to long distance, and as a youngster his body is still developing. We did some great stretches of uphill trotting, along with the other riders. But when we came to down hill portion he so impressed me.

His owner had told me in advance that there would be a steep downhill called Chalk Hill. And that if I wanted to, I could get off and walk with him down the hill. She reminded me that he stands perfectly for mounting so that won’t be an issue. When we got to that hill, I think I forgot what she had told me, and I found that we were in the lead position of four (two riders, including Everest’s owner and father were way out in front of us) riders – five horses cause one rider was ponying a horse, as we headed down the steep part.

At first Everest was wanting to go a tad faster than I was comfortable with – just a fast walk – I check my breathing, I had been holding it a tad, and filled my lungs fully a few times… both of us settled quickly and he lowered his head to really focus on the steep, narrow, rocky trail. I just stayed fully focused. I was aware of the riders just behind me, chatting. Even off of one little ledge, Everest navigated that trail with the ease of a veteran trail horse.

(here's the loop we did- another rider, who I don't know posted this - note the comments about Chalk Hill - that only the most experience horse and rider should do it, others should get off and walk. ) We did not come back up Chalk Hill, but continued on through the canyon. 

At the bottom of the hill we met up with the rest of our group who were resting under some oak trees. We all checked in and I commented that I didn’t think this horse was really only Five! Nothing, and I mean nothing on the trail surprised him, and he had never been on that trail before. I would expect a five year old to be surprised by the bird or squirrel in the bushes along the trail, or the hiker that comes around the turn just in front of us. Nope. Everest acted like he’d been there – done that. And who knows, maybe he has. One rider commented that he is an old soul.
Everest’s owner checked in with me about how he was doing in terms of his condition, and we decided to take the easier canyon trail back, while a few from our group would do another hill climb and descent and meet us back.


Our ride ended up being about ten miles.  And an experienced endurance rider suggested that we get off and walk the final stretch back to the parking lot – to help our legs feel less stiff. Sounded like a good idea to me, as I was feeling a bit tight in my ankles and knees. The walk was perfect, and I felt no stiffness at all by the time we were tying the horses up to the trailer.

The hay bags and buckets of water were ready, and Everest got a wet mash. Everyone got their horses squared away, and again Everest acted like an experienced endurance horse – calm at the trailer, enjoying his mash.

The riders gathered for lunch in the shade of a trailer, sharing stories and incredible shrimp ceviche and avocado salad – desert was an amazing Starbucks inspired peppermint latte, garnished with a candy cane. The horses enjoyed the leftovers of the candy canes.

I felt great after this ride, and in the days that followed. Not near as much soreness as I expected – I had taken two Advil at the beginning of the ride. But didn’t need any more. I’m convinced the walking at the end helped a lot. The joy of that ride really sealed it up for me that this year I’ll find a horse for me. There are a few that I’ve got my eye on. I’m hoping to get out the Death Valley ride to crew this weekend, and take my son. I would LOVE for him to get the bug too.

Things I want to work on: strengthening my muscles for posting at the trot for LONG periods/ Relaxing my upper body – as I focused so much to be very light on Everest’s mouth I think I tensed up my upper arms. See in the photo, my arms look stiff to me – and felt a bit tight/sore on day two post ride. And getting all my ducks in a row should the perfect horse appear.

Thank you to Sandee, Brooke, Nina, Sandy, and Jacqy for a fabulous ride ! Already looking forward to the next one. 

Happy Days, Happy Trails, Thanks for reading my journal while I Learn Endurance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment