Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Balance on a shoe string


So I’m settling into horse ownership. There’s a bit of panic involved at times – Oh my God, what am I doing, and then a breath and the thought that it’ll be all right.

I’m not able to ride as much as I want, that’s just the way it is right now. Having to balance family and work with horse time. That is why it was important to me to find the ideal boarding situation, where I would be comfortable having him live – knowing that if anything is amiss folks will be in touch with me, and where he’s got room to cruise.

I don’t want my family think I’ve deserted them all the time to go riding on the weekends, so I’m keeping my riding time during the week, and during school/work hours. I have to make sure I finish my billable work within a certain timeframe so that my riding days are totally free and I spend the day at the ranch. I just have to let my self adjust to that, and then build on it where I can. Balance.


And then the shoestring part. While we live a very comfortable life my intention with my horse activities is that it not put any stress on my husband. So the funds for everything equestrian related - is all me baby. I’m keeping an emergency fund in reserve, for, well true emergencies, and making a list of must haves – and then seeing how it goes. I’m splurging a tad on the boarding (although luckily in Ventura County the going rates are much less than in many parts of Los Angeles County), and have to spread out the other costs. BUT I’m truly overwhelmed by folks who offer and give. I’ve learned in other areas of my life that it’s ok to ask for help, most folks are itching to help others and pay it forward – and in the endurance crowd – and non endurance riders I’ve been blessed to connect with - this tendency is especially apparent.

Thank you to Honor & Dura, Vicky, Charlene, Brooke, Sandee, Sandy, Laura, Imme, Barbara, Tammy, Elizabet, Nina, Juan, Cynthia, Rebecca, Felicia, Larry and I must recognize the value of the crazy world of facebook. (Last names withheld to protect the innocent).



These folks have helped in so many ways, many of them maybe don’t even realize the extent to which they have contributed to me getting back into the saddle and making a dream of mine come true. I have been loaned tack, GIVEN tack, been given keys to tack rooms so I can access all of there STUFF so I don’t have to NEED anything right now. I have offers of rides (trailering), help, folks offering support and help, suggestions – and all given with a kindness to let me figure it out too. I’m the type of person that wants to do it RIGHT, but also wants to figure some things out on my own, I learn best by doing it, feeling it – feeling when it is WRONG, making an adjustment and getting it right.

I’m also persnickety about having the proper equipment – Ozzie goes best right now with a German martingale, helping to teach him to carry his head a tad lower etc. I rode him a few times last week without one -  while I waited for may bank account to take in another deposit or two – and he did fine, but I could tell that we were both a tad off and needed that aid. I searched a bit online for a used one, even though I knew the NEW one I wanted (Trail-rite.com). But then I discovered that the $1 breast collar I had bought at a tack sale before I bought Ozzie was way too big, the center of it fell to between his legs – so I just posted on an endurance tack page on Facebook that I was looking for one, synthetic material, any color, and just in usable condition. That I wanted a CHEAP one basically that would work for now (on my shoe string budget), well low and beyond a fabulous woman from NEW YORK offered to send me hers – and it just happened to be my color – for free, she just said ‘pay it forward’. And the breastplate has some good Tevis mojo on it.

And yes Charlene I need a crupper – it is on my must have list, even though Ozzie and I are not big fans. But that is the next purchase, I want to keep him comfortable with that bit of tack.

Getting to know MY horse: First Bath.
The importance of the first bath will not be lost on those who know me in the BIRTH world. Another hat I wear is of a certified doula, labor support during birth. All you horse people do this with your mares when they are birthing their foal, and just so you know, there is the same thing for humans. Check it out. But anyway, the first bath is important for a bunch of reasons, at least it is to me.

So during the time I was figuring out if I was going to buy Ozzie, I got to ride him a lot. On two endurance rides, and several training rides before that, and due to weather and timing etc. he never got a bath after riding when I was around. Now, this might seem funny but I LOVE giving horses baths, and I LOVE it when they LOVE it. It’s a pet peeve of mine when a horse does NOT like baths. And I have another little quirk; I like horses who like their faces rinsed with the hose.

A lot of the polo ponies I worked with in college would stick their nose forward, ears back – so water wouldn’t get in – open their mouths and let you spray that luscious cool water all over their sweaty heads, in their mouths – aaaah the joy.

So, the weather has been warm the past week. In the 80’s even. Ozzie and I had a nice ride, some work (yes boring – neither of us like the arena very much) in the arena – and we were both a bit sweaty and I had made sure we had time for a bath and to dry off.



Turn on the hose, adjust the pressure and start at the feet. He just stands there, turns his head to look and stands perfectly still, letting the cool water run over his body – dirt and hair coming off, he turns his head back facing front and sort of closes his eyes. I smile. He lets me hose off all of his body parts; nether regions and scrape a lot of lose hair off (that Canadian winter coat is shedding fast in this crazy California “winter”). And then we get to the face. 


I adjust the spray nozzle to lesson the pressure and emit a fine sort of mist. He turns his head and sticks his nose forward, ears back. And I just spray his face. He loves it. Mouth open – letting me spray his face all over, up on his forehead, in his mouth, swishing his tongue around. I add a little pressure for more flow and he just loves it. I use my hand to work on some of the hair around his ears and helping to slick out the thick hair under his jaw.



Then he gets his bucket while he dries in the sun. And I enjoy my sandwich. Both of us munching at the ranch. Happy & Content. And back to the barn today. Happy Days. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the endurance community, I am just starting all of this, but I am far from new to the horse world. And never have I found people so nice and willing to help!

    Just a idea, you can make your own german martingale with some rope and snaps (on not even snaps! I hate snaps). Paracord works well, and mine is wearing well so far. It's easy to find, and has fun colors! Take the rope and measure one side how much you need from front-mid reins to center ring of your breastcollar, plus about a foot to be safe. Then fold that back along more rope to make two "sides". Seal the ends. Add a loop or a snap in the center (a loop you can just thread the sides through to attatch to the breastcollar ring but it's not as easy to take on and off). Now you have a center point with two lines. Am I making sense? I hope so! Then you need to look at what reins you are using. Hopefully, you have some leather ones you want to sacrifice, just poke a hole on either side, about 18 in. from the bit, you can adjust length with the rope so no need for many holes. Make the holes big enough for the rope to be theaded through, or add smaller twine at the end of each line to fit into a smaller hole. You don't want to compermise the strength of the reins so keep that in mind. One hole really doesn't kill the reins for future use, so that's always good! You can tie up the extra rope onto the reins, so it's not swinging around, but you can adjust later if you need too. You can trim off the extra if you want, and I would trim it to 6" or so in any case. You can also sew loops of thread onto nylon rope reins, but that takes many stitches into the nylon. Then tie or snap your lines to that. Having d-rings added to reins is usually pretty affordable at tack repair shops if you have good reins you want to keep using. Then just add snaps to your lines and you have a real german martingale! Or just fake it for awhile, the martingale isn't your only method of control so it's a safer option to wing. If it breaks your not out of control or anything.

    I hope any of that made sense...I wish I could draw you a diagram! It would be easier!

    I worked under a trainer who had holes in every single one of his nice leather split reins for martigales. They weren't noticeable at all, but it sure made it easy to put one on a horse at any time, with any headstall he had (which was a LOT, his tack room was amazing!). He had the center martingale part long enough to snap to the girth, with knots to keep the two lines held together until the breastcollar ring. But no snaps on the reins, they where tied on and then the extra rope was half-hitched up to the reins. He is why I hate snaps to this day...they jiggle and affect my feel, which I hate. But they are so handy! Sigh.

    Anyways, good luck!

    ReplyDelete